Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Well... pitter patter of puppy paws?

After much discussion with a couple breeders, hmmmming and haaaaing... Countless hours of running to vets for tests, taking time off work, driving for 3+ hours straight to make appointments and waiting for results, not to mention Karma springing a heat cycle on me a few weeks earlier than anticipated and progesterone tests coming back with out to lunch results compared to cytology results and so on.
Karma is up at her breeders as I type.
Which sucks on a few levels.
First off, I feel like I just gave her away.
Second, I'm SOOO tired, woke up Monday morning went to work for 7 am... went to Blind River ( 2.5 hour trip one way) to get my work truck, drove it back and worked the rest of my 10 hour day, returned home and drove up to breeders ( 3 hour trip one way) chit chatted and discussed the final plans for 45 minutes or so and returned home at 1:30 in AM to go to sleep and get up for work 4 hours later.
Up until this morning I still had no news on Karma's Brucellosis results but both the breeder and I felt that it was wisest to have her up there and wait on word of the results.

9:07 this morning, test results were in, vet called my cell phone... Karma is negative!

This is what I now know about my dog.
-She has no signs of Hip or Elbow displaysia according to OVC ( yes I know OFA is a far better rating system, but forgive me for using Canadian, Ontario on top of that for those results)
-She is CERF ( Canine Eye Registry Foundation) clear... no signs of eye problems ( but is due to be retested this fall again as it is a yearly test),
-her thyroid is normal, thyroglobulin antibodies are negative,
- at day 6 of her heat cycle her progesterone tested at 8.5ng/ml which loosely translates to her being in standing heat, or should be bred that day or the next, however
-her cytology on day 9 shows that she has only 20% cornified cells meaning that she is not ready yet???? Science. Can't rely solely on it.
-Brucellosis negative as of Friday that just passed.

Translates to... a good deal of money spent ( $1 815 to be precise)not to mention time off work and GAS for driving around, in the end, worth it!

Which brings me to another point.
I have also learned that my car choice is not a good vehicle for what I am doing so I will have to break down and buy a mini van soon enough ( Golly Swell, settle down, I'm not looking for one right now, if I was I would definitely buy yours lol)however, my car can get me to these appointments and such in a good speedy time *thumbs up for the Tuscany*

I will keep you posted on what happens next. The stud chosen for Karma is a handsome fella too, he has a great rear to hopefully strengthen hers.
I will get some pics up of him, and a newer one of her but tomorrow.

Thats all for now...
I really need to sleep

Take care everyone

6 comments:

prin said...

oh, and lol @ the thought of you having a minivan. Hehe.. I can just see you getting out on the open road, flooring it and impatiently waiting for the engine to kick in...

Melissa said...

I agree with Prin (minivan part)..lol
i cant wait to see you cursing away when you're trying to go up hill and the van only wants to go at a snails pace.. lol

good luck with the breeding!!

Zedder said...

It would be difficult to breed your ass to your elbow Prin lol

Minimum age is 20 months to breed... but I personally wouldn't do it that young. Karma is 2 now which is when all health tests are to be done ( most can only be done at 24 months)

prin said...

Ah, I didn't realize she was two already. Time flies... :-O

Technodoll said...

We still think of karma as a young puppy because WE DON'T SEE ENOUGH PICTURES!

grump.

good luck with the breeding, i hope it takes - you've put so much into that girl! is the breeder compensating you or is she co-owned?

ps: mini vans rock when you have big dogs or many of them - yeah ok not a sexy ride but practical! :-D

Zedder said...

TD, Karma is or was co-owned, but now that I have met all requirements she will no longer be a co own.
The breeder and I have made an arrangement for the breeding and the amount of help and support she has given me is amazing.