Monday, October 22, 2007

Class, what defines it?

Today I had an interesting thought...
We all know those people who walk around as though their shit doesnt stink and never ever has, playing the part of high class following every stereotype known to man regarding being "high class"
But seriously... what defines it? Class that is?
Im seriously asking, its not a question that I intend to answer later on in this entry myself.

This is what got me thinking about this.

Had to fill up lil faithful tonight and I always go to this one gas station (even though it is slightly higer priced than the one across the road) for the main reason they are wonderful there with helping people out... whether it be hiring someone with challenges either pysical or mental, hiring the old guy that no one would ever hire due to his general appearance, and so on... I applaud this place for giving chances, so I support them whenever possible.
Now, tonight I was having a conversation with the gas jockey as lil faithful was unusually thristy this evening and I had some time to kill while I was washing my own windows and the ever so shy and reserved attendant kept a close eye on my re fueling procedure ( he takes his job so seriously)

While making small talk a complete moron started burning out of the parking lot and sped out into traffic with something to prove... I muttered to myself " Wanahpitae never changes" the attendant looked over and said " Sometimes I believe this town is a scene from Deliverance, all that is missing is the banjo music" I was sort of set back by this statement.

I guess I had always placed him as a lower class individual subconsiously, and with this "lower class" label I had given him, I then proceeded to conclude this person would never be the kind of person who goes anywhere in life ( for various reasons) must be some form of junior high drop out, probably living in deplorable conditions in some little trailer or shack somewhere... and so on.
Now I never actively thought these things, by all means no. But why would it stop me in my tracks to learn he was a book reader? How stereotypical of me! Honestly I feel like crap.

So, that same woman I talked about earlier... the one who "fit" upper class descriptions... why would I not have presumed anything like this about her? Upon seeing this woman I made a little snicker thought to myself and carried on with no interest in talking to her what so ever... why??? I dont know. Maybe because she was "above" me intellectually or something? I mean she must be to have that air about her?!?!

I am self proclaimed middle to lower class ( not talking about money here, just attitude and the way I carry myself) so would others be set back to, for example, read my blog especially when I get all theoretical and/or intellectual like this?!?!

I honestly feel like a sack of shit for split second thinking this kind person pumping my gas was "below" me in some way....

**sigh**

3 comments:

prin said...

I have a ton of flaws, but one thing I don't do is judge people based on their job. I mean look at me- if you walk in the door of my company, there I am, little reception bimbo, right? I have had the shit of the shit of jobs, and I've met some of the most amazing people through them.

The highest class people I've ever met have had the lowest incomes.

And some of the richest people I've met have had no class at all.

One guy I know had a cleaning lady his whole life. She helped raise him. "Madame, can you empty my garbage? You forgot last week," he asked. "What's her name?" I asked him. "Who cares? She's the fucking cleaning lady."

Yeah, I swore I would never ever be that.

Zedder said...

I dont mean to though...
I am so discouraged that I even thought that.
I didnt overly pre think consiously either, it was only after his book reading comment that I realized some how some where I had pre judged him.
Honestly I feel that I should appologize to him, but that would just make things so much worse, he has no idea what I think, why would he even care right??

I really want to work on my subconsious prejudgemental tendancies. I dont want to be this person either.

prin said...

Yeah, but noticing is a good thing though. Most people wouldn't notice their prejudices. :)