The trip went well, on the way in... until we decided at 1:30 in the AM to hunker down for the night in Cornwall.
I crawled into my sleazy motel bed, already paraniod about the "bugs" that could be on the blankets/beds/floors/ROOM.
Just as I was getting cozy and relaxing a bit, I opened my eyes and saw .... The worlds most ginormous pubic hair standing at the other side of the bed as if to wave "Hello" to me...
I freaked, threw everything on the floor and wanted to sleep in the car.
Needless to say, I didnt (but would have in a heart beat)
Thats when the trip went bad... I mean BAD
We woke up in the morning and started out to the "lovely province of Quebec"
Once we arrived, I was happy, Finally in Quebec... For my first adventure I had seen this sign (shown in the picture below) and knew I needed a picture of it, as I had NO FRIGGEN IDEA what the hell it meant.
The best I can come up with is...
"This way to the place where little men are awaiting the boarding of their Propane tank space travelling devices." I got a chuckle out of it, made fun of it and then Quebec got PISSED at me.

We ended up in the town of St. Marine ( or something like that) where the street lights caught my eye ( I wasnt driving) they all fell over and had different shapes for different lights. (Red-Square, yellow- diamond shaped, Green-arrows) I got a kick out of those too... confusing things they are as I would soon find out.

Somehow, we drove right through the "town" we were in as we were looking for some street or road, and thats when things went really bad for me...
We went on this INSANE bridge that had transports twirling around on overpass things above me, what I interpreted as 18 lanes entering and exiting and going through, a cement barrier holding people that were travelling in the same direction as us in their own crazy lanes ( I could only assume that was where they kept the "crazies" driving... I dont know how they jumped over that barrier or where they were heading but we were all going the same way... I wish now that I would have taken a picture of this insanity, but i was honestly hyperventilating with my head between my knees hoping that I would survive this ordeal.
We made it over the bridge after what seemed like an eternity, I had a migrane now, small town/country gurl does not do well in situations like that with no warning.
I see a Tim Hortons and some how we actually made it over to it, as it was on the other side, It was just by the grace of GOD that we made it there...
I needed my green tea, I needed it bad.
I get in and thought to myself that seeing as though they were so close to Ontario, that the employees would know a bit of english, since my french is horrendous.
Nope, not that lucky, my friend orders for me and asks where we are, all kinds of people (Timmies staff and people waiting in line behind us) start rambling on about how we get back to where we were, I felt overwhelmed, made some strange noises and walked out, I left my friend to deal with that, shes semi-french.
Long LONG story short, eventually we somehow made it up on that psycho bridge shit again, and back into the area we were supposed to be in.
All of this, for a 2 hour visit (as we still had more than a 7 hour drive to get home) a boxer dog, and my migrane.
Things I have taken back with me from my little trip:
-I will never complain about our gas prices in Ontario again... not until they are higher than Quebecs... you poor folk.
-I will NEVER complain about Ontario roads again... WHAT THE HELL do their tax $$'s go to there? Not roads thats for sure.
-Carry things I may want or need to purchase in Quebec if I ever go again, to bring into the store and point and say "Je besoin ca! s.v.p"
-Hire a Quebec version of a sherpa ( or what ever) to help me get around there, I could never do it on my own.
On our way back, I was thrilled to see a sign for the OPP... that really truely meant I was "home"
-where cars have licence plates on the front and back of them
-where roads are crappy, but parts dont fall off your vehicle if you drive on them... not even at their worst.
-Where street signs are HUGE and in colors not shades (Ont.=green or blue with white writing... Quebec=teeny tiny white with black writing)
-Where lanes end WITH more than adequate WARNING, and right lanes close, not left ones for the most part.
-Where I can order my OWN green tea with half a sugar please...
My first adventure to Quebec was not a pleasant one... I still want to go to Montreal one day, but I am definately hiring someone as a guide.
No summary for today... if anyone can help me on my quest to find out what the HELL that little man and the propane tank is telling me, It would be greatly appreciated.
(Hint hint Prin and TD)
5 comments:
He he! it's a commuter train boarding station sign :-D
I agree on the shitty roads and gas prices, and also our alcohol costs more (for the same stuff) - grrr.
BUT... the people here are wonderful (for the most part), there is awesome culture that you don't find anywhere else in the country (ie European charm) - of course not in shanty-town in the middle of a farmer's field, eh? LOL
I love my province, but then again I'm bilingual so it helps alot :-O
Hope you get a decently nice visit next time!
Ooooohhh... I see it now. (tee hee, I feel kinda stupid to be perfectly honest)
Atleast I had a little dude boarding something, I just couldnt see a train, just a propane tank?!?!
I do have to say, although I had a really hard time with my "trip" this time, people in Timmies seemed more than willing to help 2 chicks that were lost, find their way back. In Ontario, the entire staff would NOT come out and try to help like that, people behind us in line would have started getting snotty and nothing would have been done. I was amazed by the help , I just didnt understand a word of it, and they could tell :S
Do you have any idea where I was? I dont... that bridge thing still haunts me and I want to know what its called.
We do drive crazy here but I wouldn't live anywhere else! Our roads definitely suck but that's what happens when only 35% of the Quebec population pay income tax! *sigh*
You need to visit Montreal - try coming in July when it's full festival season!
Ah, vive le quebec. I kind of like it here, but at the same time, I'm realizing how embarrassing it is for us when outsiders come in.
On the weekend, the new guy came with me to MEC and a guy said "Allo!" and the new guy answered in english and the guy literally ran away.
Gahh!!! wish I'd known you were hitting Cornwall-could've vetted your motel for you. (not that there's much choice.)
And met you for coffee or something. Next time?
Post a Comment